Living with your Elderly Relative

Living with your Elderly Relative: Financial and Physical Considerations

If you have an elderly relative who may be unable to look after themselves without assistance, you may decide to take them into your home or live with them in their own home. If so, there will be a number of financial and physical considerations to take into account, and here are some of the most important.

General Costs: Decide Who Will Pay for What

If you decide to take your elderly relative into your home, you should decide upon who is going to pay for what. There will be extra expenses for food, clothing, transport, bills and more, and this could put a burden on your own budget. You will have to decide together who is going to pay for what.

For example, you may want to split the costs, or your relative may want to make a regular contribution or take care of some of the bills on their own. What you decide upon is up to you, but just make sure it is something you discuss.

Adaptations to Your Home

You may have to adapt your own home (or their home if you move in with them), especially if they are having difficulty getting around, bathing and cooking. There are devices that can help, including stair lifts, grab bars and various other mobility aids. However, some of these could involve a large investment. Carry out an assessment of your home and work out what you need and how much you can afford.

Getting Financial Support

You may want to apply for a carer’s assessment from your local council. This will identify the help that you need to provide proper care to your relative. You may even be able to claim Carer’s Allowance if you are caring for your relative for 35 hours a week or more.

Do You Want Professional Assistance?

If you are working as a carer part-time or full-time, you may want some professional help. This does not mean you need full-time care, and instead you may simply want a few hours a week to yourself, which can give you some time off and help you to provide a better level of care. At Comfort Keepers, we provide a respite care service for this exact purpose, so let us know if you want to discuss your options.

Think Over Your Options Carefully

Always think through the changes that you will have to make when you live with an elderly relative. In addition, ask yourself whether this is really the best option. Perhaps a care worker could visit to help with various tasks instead? If you are unsure of your options, we are happy to discuss your situation and to answer any questions you have.

CTA Case Studies

We are here to take your call and will provide impartial support and guidance – contact our friendly care experts today to discuss your nurse-led care needs.

0808 239 1525

Jobs FAQs

What shifts or rotas are available for professional carers?

Our branches have a wide variety of hours and rotas which means it’s possible to find shifts that fit in with your life situation, whether you want a full time role or are just looking for a few hours a week. All that we ask is that you commit to the hours you can do two weeks in advance.

Do I need care experience to join?

Six months’ professional care experience is ideal - such as a domiciliary carer, care assistant, homecare worker, support worker or healthcare assistant. However, if you are new to care some branches do offer training leading to care certificates, so please contact the recruitment team to discuss on 0808 239 9716.

Do I need a driving licence?

A full clean driving is required for some roles, but not all. Job roles normally state if a driving licence is required, but if you are unsure then please contact the recruitment team on 0808 239 9716.

What pre-employment checks do you do?

To join Prestige Nursing & Care as a professional carer you will be required to apply for a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check, unless you are registered with the update service.

We can help you apply via your local branch. When you work with children and vulnerable adults a DBS check is a legal requirement. Find out more about DBS checks:

We also require two professional references, one of which should be your current or most recent employer.

Finally, you will be required to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK, NI number, ID and proof of address. Your recruiter will talk you through all requirements and support you all the way.

What training do I need to complete before starting work?

You will need to complete both online e-learning modules and virtual training via Microsoft Teams. This is very flexible and can be completed from home as long as you have a compatible device. Find out more about the training we offer.

Is the training free?

Yes, the training is completely free.

Do you offer regular patterns of work?

Yes, our branches offer a wide variety of hours and shift patterns.

Will I be employed by Prestige Nursing & Care?

You would become a member of our team with a contract for services. You would be eligible for things like SSP and holiday, as well as a NEST workplace pension.

How old do you have to be to work as a carer?

You need to be 18 years old to join our care team and there is no upper age limit.

How often will I get paid?

We pay all our professional carers weekly.