With the ageing population of the UK only expected to rise, there is no better time to start a career as a professional carer. Working in care is an immensely rewarding career that allows you to provide life-changing support to those in need.
For over 75 years, Prestige Nursing & Care has provided high-quality, personalised and expert home care services for every stage of life. We know what good care looks like and how best to support our care teams to deliver it.
Here we guide what it is like working in care and how you can start your own rewarding career with Prestige Nursing & Care.
What Are The Roles And Responsibilities Of A Carer?
As a professional carer, you will support people of all ages and walks of life to live happier, healthier and more independent lives at home. Most of our clients are older people, people living with mobility concerns or disabilities or people with complex conditions like dementia, Multiple sclerosis, or Parkinson’s.
No two days are alike as a carer. As a care team member with Prestige Nursing & Care, you will visit your clients at home to provide them assistance with the day-to-day tasks of living. These visits can range from 60 minutes a week to several visits a day depending on the care required.
What’s important to remember is that we encourage our clients to do as much as they can for themselves and we only support them when they need and want us to.
Some of your roles and responsibilities might include:
- Sensitive personal care
- General housekeeping
- Meal planning and preparation
- Medication management and administration
- Safe mobility at home
- Nurse-led care
- Pet care
Our carers provide so much more than just practical support. We are also there to offer companionship and emotional support, should it be needed. This can include sharing a cup of tea, enjoying trips into the local community or simply offering a listening and sympathetic ear.
Working As A Carer In The UK
Working as a carer in the UK is not only rewarding but there are many practical benefits as well.
Our branches have a wide variety of hours and rotas available which means it’s possible to find shifts that fit in with your lifestyle. Whether you want a full-time role or are just looking for a few hours a week, we have plenty of opportunities available across the country. All that we ask is that you commit to the hours you can do two weeks in advance.
One of the many benefits of working as a carer is that you’ll have time off between placements to travel or visit family. You may also request placement in certain parts of the country if you have family or friends there or you’d simply like to visit. If possible we’ll do our best to place you where you’d like to go.
We provide comprehensive training to all new starters, whether you are already qualified or new to care. Our training will give you the knowledge needed to provide the excellent care the vulnerable people we look after deserve.
What Do I Need To Become A Carer?
To join Prestige Nursing & Care as a professional care or registered nurse, you will need the following:
- A good standard of written and spoken English
- The right to work in the UK
- Clear police, occupational health and reference checks
- Good professional and personal references
- Six months’ professional care experience in care of health setting for example as a domiciliary carer, care assistant, homecare worker, support worker or healthcare assistant. However, if you are new to care we offer training leading to Care Certificates for certain roles, so please contact your nearest local branch to find out more
Apply To Become A Carer
Ready to start your own rewarding career as a carer?
Our nurses and carers are the heroes of our business. With more than 75 years of experience in supporting clients from all walks of life, we know that consistent, quality care comes from long-term investment and recognition of staff.
Our in-depth online training programme, which you will be required to complete before you start working with us, will give you all the tools you need to start a successful care career with Prestige Nursing & Care.
Other benefits you can expect from Prestige Nursing & Care include:
- Competitive hourly rates that are usually higher than other agencies
- Flexible working– the hours you want, when you want them
- Working with a local team at a local branch
- A variety of work matched to your skills and interests
- Ongoing training and development
- Multiple learning opportunities through our training programs
- A competitive package with paid training
- Future growth opportunities through staged care progression
- A positive, supportive environment
Whatever your skills or experience, applying for a role is simple. You can learn more about our home care job requirements and our recruitment process in our carer jobs section.
Contact our friendly recruitment team or explore our current carer jobs to see what’s on offer at Prestige Nursing & Care.